The year 1987 was the 50th anniversary of the Appalachian Trail, which passes right through Damascus. That year, members of the Town Council decided to celebrate the anniversary with an event for hikers. At that time, there was no town park in Damascus, so the small festival was held in the parking lot of the town hall and behind the bank. The festival was held again the following year, the year after that, and every year that’s followed, growing to the tens of thousands. In the early years of Trail Days, a street was sometimes roped off for a dance, but there were no vendors. There were only the hikers and the cyclists who followed, who inspired the town to rebuild its economy, which had been devastated by flooding and the loss of most of its industry. Read more…
Each year, thousands of hikers make the 2,180 mile trek along the Appalachian Trail from Springer Mountain to Katahdin. Each of those hikers crosses the Nantahala River along the NOC Founder’s Bridge, in Bryson City, NC. Most of these hikers cross on their way north in early April, just before beginning the difficult ascent into Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Many more hikers enjoy the Appalachian Trail in segments, hiking one section at a time over the course of many years, or maybe just sticking to their favorite sections of trail. Read more…
Each year hikers, former hikers and aspiring hikers of the Appalachian Trail converge in Damascus, Virginia to celebrate at Trail Days. Osprey will be on hand once again to welcome hikers and provide free gear repairs and free pack fittings.
If you’re planning on going, here’s what we’ll be offering up for AT folks:
- Free, expert gear repairs from our traditional Tent City location in Damascus.
- Full display of all the new packs styles for 2011, free pack sizings and fittings as well as great gear giveaways!
- Trail Talk event with Osprey founder and head designer Mike Pfotenhauer from the Osprey Tent City booth Friday, May 13, 2 to 4 p.m.
- Meet Osprey founder and head designer Mike Pfotenhauer at Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus on Saturday, May 14, from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- In celebration of Trail Days 25th Anniversary all Osprey Packs and accessories will be 20% off at Mt. Rogers Outfitters, Damascus.
If you haven’t been on the AT, check out this short video to see why it’s so special…