Celebrate Endangered Species Day + Protect Our Biodiversity!
Today is Endangered Species Day, and tomorrow is the International Day of Biodiversity, so do something to celebrate our incredible community of species. And while you’re at it, do something to protect it.
What exactly is biodiversity? The International League of Conservation Photographers put together this great multimedia piece that showcases what biodiversity is and why it’s important. Watching it, you’ll quickly realize that biodiversity is something that affects all of us… and that’s why we have a duty to do something to ensure its protection.
5 Ways to Celebrate Endangered Species Day
- TAKE ACTION – Tell the Secretary of the Interior to protect critical habitat for endangered polar bears and stop Shell Oil from off-shore drilling, or urge President Obama to save the West’s most iconic salmon species from extinction.
- Update your Facebook profile pic – Show your support for endangered species with a photo of your favorite wildlife species. Both National Wildlife Federation and the Endangered Species Coalition have some species snaps to choose from. Let us know you did it by including @Endangered Species Coalition or @National Wildlife Federation in your status message.
- Help spread the word via Twitter – Share an Endangered Species Day message or wildlife fact with your friends and family. Make sure to include #speciesday in your tweet.
- Attend an Endangered Species Day event! Events are held across the country to highlight endangered species stories.
- Get Outside! Take a hike on your favorite trail, climb your favorite pitch or shred up the last of that spring snow. What species live there? And what can you do to make sure that they will be there for future generations?